Unhappy Setting Up Paypal Standard and Payments Pro

I can see that Suncart has some nice power and functionality, but I'm astounded how bad the documentation is. The "manual" has nothing whatever about setting up Paypal payments? Are you kidding me? The scanty knowledgebase isn't a lot of help either, even though it does have nice articles on Amazon payments and Paypal Pro. Reading through this forum hasn't helped: many things mentioned seem to be obsolete with later (and unsupported!) versions of Suncart -- so they're left up to confuse newbies ...why?

So us newbies are left terribly confused.

First things first: can you explain what the difference is between

-PayPal Standard (IPN)
    -PayPal Express Checkout
    -PayPal Payflow Link
    -PayPal Payflow Pro XMLPay and
    -PayPal Web Payments Pro
    ?

(I'm actually well versed on what the last is, but maybe others will appreciate it all explained in one place.)

On my old cart (Pinnacle: great cart, but breaks down catastrophically over time, and support has been TERRIBLE for me, so I'm dumping it) was so simple to set up for payments, it's not funny -- not when I'm tearing my hair out trying to get Suncart up and running with its non-intuitive setup that has absolutely no instructions.

Right now my Suncart (not live) has "Credit Card" that uses Web Payments Pro for processing, and "PayPal Standard (IPN)" for Paypal payments. Neither works: BOTH give "You're not authorized for this API call" or similar.

It's no surprise that Paypal IPN doesn't work, since there is no place in the "module settings" where I can put my Paypal account info -- there's no way for them to know who to pay. Clearly, something is missing in my setup.

One forum article says you must have a Web Payment Pro plug-in installed for that service to work, but there is no such plug-in available in my Suncart 4.2.7 interface, so I'm left to wonder whether that's obsolete info now. Clarify? And if I need it, EXACTLY how to I get it and install it?

My problem with Pro may be that I have no "API Access Signature" -- Paypal literally doesn't mention it on their credentials screen. I have an "API Access User ID" (which I've entered into Suncart) and an "API Access Password" (ditto). I still get an API error. Works great on my old (live) cart, though.

Your advice MIGHT be to delete the old credentials and create new ones, and maybe then there'd be a "signature". Maybe, but that would break my live cart.

I cannot believe I'm the only one with these questions. Would you PLEASE create a DETAILED knowledgebase article on ALL the steps necessary to use ALL the Paypal options, and the common problems seen and how to solve them? The "instructions" provided in the interface are not adequate to answer these questions, especially when things go wrong, and "open a ticket" is NOT a reasonable answer -- for us or for you. I don't think asking for basic function documentation is too big a request.

Thanks.

Weak documentation has been a common complaint about Sunshop. Probably has something to do with the fact that the cart evolves fast and writing documentation is boring. Neither valid excuses, but it is what it is. Luckily, you have these forums and you will discover they are pretty helpful.

Search these forums for Paypal and you will probably find answers to all your questions.

I do not use Paypal so I cannot be of much help getting it setup, but I'm sure someone else here can offer some help.
    Brian Myers
    Dataweb.Pro d/b/a StoreFront.Pro
    Sunshop experts. ASP since 2003. Hosting/Support/Consulting
    Fully hosted plans with SunShop start at just $19/month.

Quote Originally Posted by datawebcorp View Post
    Search these forums for Paypal and you will probably find answers to all your questions.
    As I wrote (and perhaps did not make clear enough), I certainly have searched the forum and read many threads on setting up Paypal. But the information is conflicting, clearly out of date, and doesn't -- after two days of searching and reading -- answer my basic questions in a way that actually works. I should not have to spend two days to get such basic information clarified, but I did. And it was a waste of time. Hence this thread: I'm asking for specific, clear, and (most importantly) up-to-date information -- details that (as you agree) should have been in the documentation, but (as you agree) are not.

ThisIsTrue

Happy to help and I will do my best to make it as detailed as possible.

Differences:

-PayPal Standard (IPN): takes the customer to PayPal's site AFTER the ENTIRE checkout in order to make payment. The customer can pay without having a PayPal account (depending on what country you are in as PayPal limits that feature for some countries). After the payment is completed, your store is notified (via IPN) of the completed payment, after which time the order is stored in your database. PayPal sees Website Payments Standard as a solution for merchants wanting to collect payments on their site easily, especially if they have no other payment method available.

-PayPal Express Checkout: gives the customer two options: They can jump over to the PayPal site to login to their account BEFORE completing checkout on your store (which allows them to select their address information there and never have to re-type their address details on YOUR site, thus the "express" part of the transaction) and then choosing shipping choices and discounts/coupons etc before completing the order OR they can go to the PayPal site to login to their account AFTER making shipping/payment/coupon selections on your site (and creating an account on your store and typing their address info on your store), much like they do with Standard. The second option is where the "PayPal Express Checkout" plugin comes into play. You can actually enable or disable this.

-PayPal Payflow Link: is essentially *only* a merchant account. Transactions conducted via Payflow Pro (for US Merchants) do not appear in your PayPal account. Instead, they are forwarded directly to your merchant bank account. Basically, Payflow is just like any other traditional payment gateway (Authorize.net etc). In North America you can connect the Payflow Pro service to your own merchant bank account. In the UK, the Payflow Pro service is actually bundled as a hybrid service with Website Payments Pro, connecting all the transactions to your UK PayPal account, and all monies are deposited to your PayPal account, instead of directly to your bank account.

-PayPal Payflow Pro: See above "PayPal Payflow Link"

-PayPal Web Payments Pro: appears to the customer only as a couple fields to enter their credit card number directly on your website. They have no idea that in the background you're processing their card via PayPal. They have to make an account on your site, and supply the address details, but once they confirm the order, the payment is collected immediately and the order saved. It doesn't rely on IPN to release the order. However, it does store any transaction updates done on the PayPal end such as refunds etc as long as IPNs can be received by your server. Website Payments Pro is currently only offered in the USA, UK, and Canada. A monthly service charge applies, and there is an account application process and credit check to complete before the feature can be activated on your account. PayPal Express Checkout must be enabled in order for Website Payments Pro to be offered on your site. PayPal sees Website Payments Pro as a payment gateway for handling credit cards. That's exactly what it is. Coupled with Express Checkout, it gives your customers the maximum amount of choice about how to pay: either by credit card directly on your site, or by using their PayPal account to submit payment.

Setting Up:

Most of the modules include instructions on setting them up directly on the module settings screens. I have added additional detail below.

-PayPal Standard (IPN): Simply install the "PayPal Standard" payment method module and then click on the wrench icon to edit the settings once installed. Add your PayPal email address and save the settings. Ready to start taking PayPal.

-PayPal Express Checkout: Simply install the "PayPal Web Payments Pro" payment processors module and it will install the "PayPal Express Checkout" payment method module and the "PayPal Express Checkout" plugin automatically. Once installed, alter the PayPal Web Payments Pro settings by clicking on the wrench icon. Add all of the API credentials as prompted. Save the settings. Keep in mind that unless you are planning on using "PayPal Web Payments Pro" payment processor module, you do not need to enable it. The API credentials will be used for Paypal Express only.

-PayPal Payflow Link:
    Code:
    PayPal Payflow Link

1.) Change the value of the "User ID" to your assigned login id from PayPal.

2.) Change the value of the "Partner ID" to your assigned partner id from PayPal.

3.) Save the changes by clicking the "Edit Module Settings" button and then activate the module.

3.) Log in to PayPal Manager. 

4.) Click "Service Settings" on the menu bar and then click on "Configuration" for Payflow Link.

5.) Click "Payflow Link Info" on the Account Information sidebar.

6.) Under the heading "Form Configuration", locate the first field called "Return URL Method". Change the value of this to POST.

7.) Under the same heading, locate the second field called "Return URL", check the box and change it to "http://www.yourdomain.com/sunshop/checkout.php?return=credit_card". You can also make this a secure transfer using https:// if you have a SSL certificate.

8.) Under the same heading, locate the second field called "Silent Post URL" and change it to "http://www.yourdomain.com/sunshop/checkout.php?return=credit_card". You can also make this a secure transfer using https:// if you have a SSL certificate.

9.) Under the heading "Receipt Display Options" be sure to change the value of "Receipt Button Text" to the value of "Complete Transaction". This insures that the buyer returns to your cart to update the database and get their receipt. If they do not click this you will still be ok as long as the "Silent Post URL" is set corectly.

10.) You are done but you can make any additional changes you wish on this form. Be aware that you can change the colors of the checkout process here as well as a few other usefull items.
    -PayPal Payflow Pro:
    Code:
    PayPal Payflow Pro XMLPay

1.) Change the value of "Merchant ID", "Login" and "Password" to your assigned information.

2.) Note that your Login can be set the same as your merchant id if you did not setup a seperate user account.

3.) Change the value of "Partner" if necessary.

4.) Change the value of "Test Mode" from "On" to "Off" if you want to put the shop in LIVE mode. 

5.) Save the changes by clicking the "Edit Module Settings" button and then activate the module.
    -PayPal Web Payments Pro:
    Code:
    PayPal Web Payments Pro

Please Note: There are now two sets of accounts as the interface of PayPal account area on newer accounts has changed.

Newer PayPal Accounts

1.) Login to your PayPal account and navigate to "My Account" -> "Profile" and click on "Request API credentials".

2.) Under "Option 1", click on the "Set up PayPal API credentials and permissions" link.

3.) Under "Option 2", click on the "Request API credentials" link and generate your API information.

4. Select the option "Request API signature" and click "Agree and Submit".

5.) Change the value of the "API Access User ID", "API Access Password" and "API Access Signature" within the module settings in SunShop to the information you just generated.

6.) Also change the value of "Authorize & Capture" to the correct setting, leave as is if you do not understand what this setting is for.

7.) Leave the setting "Sandbox Mode" to "No" unless you specificially setup a sandbox account.

8.) Save the changes by clicking the "Edit Module Settings" button and then activate the module.

Older PayPal Accounts

1.) Login to your PayPal account and navigate to "My Account" -> "Profile" and click on "API Access".

2.) Under "Option 2", click on the "Request API Credentials" link and generate your API information.

3. Select the option "Request API signature" and click "Agree and Submit".

4.) Change the value of the "API Access User ID", "API Access Password" and "API Access Signature" within the module settings in SunShop to the information you just generated.

5.) Also change the value of "Authorize & Capture" to the correct setting, leave as is if you do not understand what this setting is for.

6.) Leave the setting "Sandbox Mode" to "No" unless you specificially setup a sandbox account.

7.) Save the changes by clicking the "Edit Module Settings" button and then activate the module.
    Additional details here: https://support.turnkeywebtools.com/...b-payments-pro

Please let me know if this infomration does not help. Additionally you can open a ticket so we can see exactly what is going on in your install.
    Chris Talavera
    Turnkey Web Tools, Inc.
    chris{at}twt-inc.com
    1-800-673-4898

Smile Partial Success

Quote Originally Posted by TWT-Chris View Post
    Happy to help and I will do my best to make it as detailed as possible.
    Thanks. This was very helpful -- I hope for others, too.

I do have partial success; it took me awhile since I had to figure out how and when to switch carts, because of the issue with Paypal discussed in a second. But I did get there tonight.

First, the success: I could NOT get Paypal to give me a "signature", so I put in a support ticket with them and the answer was, my old cart (not Suncart) uses a "certificate" rather than a "signature", and both systems cannot be used in Paypal at the same time. Thus, I was required to revoke API access from the old cart, and request new API information (with a "signature") for Suncart. I had not wanted to do that, since I would then necessarily be offline, but so be it: I put up a "closed" sign and did it. With the new API credentials, Web Site Payments Pro worked immediately. Thanks!

Now to the Less Successful Part

Quote Originally Posted by TWT-Chris View Post
    Setting Up:
    -PayPal Express Checkout: Simply install the "PayPal Web Payments Pro" payment processors module and it will install the "PayPal Express Checkout" payment method module and the "PayPal Express Checkout" plugin automatically. Once installed, alter the PayPal Web Payments Pro settings by clicking on the wrench icon. Add all of the API credentials as prompted. Save the settings. Keep in mind that unless you are planning on using "PayPal Web Payments Pro" payment processor module, you do not need to enable it. The API credentials will be used for Paypal Express only.
    OK, this is where I screech to a halt: I see the Express Checkout module, but when I click "setup" for it, the only settings I'm able to do anything with are the text/graphic that shows on the checkout option, and the priority for placement. Is this correct, because it uses the "Pro" API settings for access to Paypal? That wasn't really clear, but in any case, it just doesn't work, as far as I can see (and as far as I've been able to test). Suggestions?

If you'd like to take a look, the cart is now operational at https://secure.thisistrue.com.

Wink Thanks

Thanks to the original author for asking my question(s) and thank you Chris for a VERY detailed explanation!!

No problem!
    Chris Talavera
    Turnkey Web Tools, Inc.
    chris{at}twt-inc.com
    1-800-673-4898

Question New to SunShop -- same question

Hi, I'm installing SunShop & I've run into the same problem as Chris -- using Web Payments Pro, PayPal won't issue an API signature while we are using the certificate on our existing shop. OK.. I've got that ... but like Chris I was hoping that the PayPal Express would work in the meantime, and that also seems to be nonfunctional.

It's been about 6 months since Chris posted, and I can see that he now also has a PayPal Express button on his shopping cart -- and that does work (when I click it, it takes me straight to PayPal) -- see:
    https://secure.thisistrue.com/index.php?l=cart_view

but I don't even have a non-working PayPal icon showing up on my cart.... so I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me how to set that part up.

I'm guessing that nothing will work until I shut down the old cart & move things over... which will probably be several weeks from now. I can live with that, but I need to have a pretty clear idea of what steps I will need to take in order to minimize down time.

Smile

OK, I've found my own solution --

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem---

I set up a sandbox account with PayPal at https://developer.paypal.com/ -- this is a dummy account that you can use to set up a fake merchant account as well as fake customer accounts. You can generate the API credentials needed and plug them in -- because this is a "sandbox" you also need to select "sandbox" mode in the Web Payments Pro configuration settings at SunShop.

From there, everything works fine -- you can test it all by using the fake customer account(s) you create to generate phony orders, and see how things look from the customer side as well.

does paypal standard automatically change the payment status in ss to paid ? I thought it did and now after this upgrade today I'm not sure it is doing it now.