Installing a testing cart on a different server than our live cart

Our shopping cart is active but I want to temporarily setup a second testing shopping cart on a different hosted server. Instructions are given for doing this on a testing computer. How does one do this on hosted server that has a different domain name than the server your shop's domain name is hosted on? I've uploaded the shopping cart and worked out the ioncube issues but can't get past the "Installation Domain (xxxxxxxx): Failed" step of the install. The other information passed.

Do I need to point the testing server's Host @ ip address (xx.xx.xxx.x) to our live shopping cart's ip address?

Thanks,
    Dan

You basically need to point the domain to your local or testing server manually on your machine.

See: http://my.twt-inc.com/knowledgebase/...nt-server.html
    Chris Talavera
    Turnkey Web Tools, Inc.
    chris{at}twt-inc.com
    1-800-673-4898

Quote Originally Posted by TWT-Chris View Post
    You basically need to point the domain to your local or testing server manually on your machine.

See: http://my.twt-inc.com/knowledgebase/...nt-server.html
    Thanks for responding. Is that done with our active shopping cart's cpanel:

Add a Pointer Domain [0 / Unlimited] Used ( All fields are required )
    Domain:
    http://www.

Pointer Type:
    Permanent Redirect (301) [?]
    Temporary Redirect (302) [?]
    Server Alias [?]

Points To: www.domain.com
    However, won't doing so direct customers to our testing server. Is there anyway to keep our active shopping live while working on our testing shopping cart?

Thanks

Dan,

The URL they point you to is to show you how to change your specific machine ONLY (i.e. the one you are typing on) to view the testing server. You can make changes on all the computers in your office / all your staff if necessary. If on Mac, there's a control Panel that makes this super-easy to do and I use it all the time:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/30/easil...eference-pane/

Alternately, if you're really nice, you can ask TWT to let you add a sub-domain (i.e. testing.domain.com) and a different IP to your license.

Thanks for responding iwbyte. I'm not using my computer as a testing server, however. I temporarily registered with another hosting company to use their shared server to style (etc.) the new responsive template before upgrading our active shopping cart. I am installing the test shopping cart under a domain name that is different from our active website: www.differentDomain.com/sunshop. So my question is, how do I go about pointing what where? How do I point the temporary testing server and domain name to the domain name or ip address of our active website? I know I'm making this harder than it is but, for some reason, I'm just not getting it.

Thank again,
    Dan

You can't operate the same license under a different domain name unless you get that domain name added to the license at TWT.

But my suggestion wasn't to operate the testing site on your computer - just that you adjust your computer so that when you type 'real domain', your computer thinks it is really at 'differentdomain.com'.

Using the control panel I linked to, you can then flip that switch on-and-off as you do testing or need to access the real site.

Thanks for all of your input iwbyte. I worked out a temporary solution with Turnkey. In the future I will definitely install the testing cart to a subdirectory.

Thanks again,
    Dan