Sunshop + Joomla?

Has anyone ever seen or heard of anyone working on a Joomla with a Sunshop cart integrated site?

I want to check it out and see if can be/has been done.
    Scott
    FluidPC (Sunshop 3.5.x)
    FluidPC (Sunshop 4.x - coming soon!)

Quote Originally Posted by Spookious
    Has anyone ever seen or heard of anyone working on a Joomla with a Sunshop cart integrated site?

I want to check it out and see if can be/has been done.
    Yes, this would be of great interest to me as well.

I guess I'd be interested too!

What exactly would you want the integration for? Or rather, how would you want it integrate? Are any other carts integrated?

Simon

From my limited knowledge, there are a few hurdles to overcome here...

Joomla uses php tags to place data. For example you can take any HTML page and add a $mos_main php tag to it and Joomla will display its main area content there.
    This works for the banner area, right column, left column, header and all the user areas as well.
    This is a very easy way to make custom pages quickly.
    You can think of this as placing Joomla inside a template.

Sunshop on the other hand uses a main template file which holds the data for the other areas. If you want to keep the carts functionality you have to divide up your design into the areas sunshop has templates for (header, footer, main, etc) and cut and paste your code into these templates.
    You can think of this as placing your template inside Sunshop....

One of the problems lies in not being able to use PHP tags in the Sunshop templates.

Ideally you could make a component or module system from Sunshop that work inside Joomla.
    So you would have a robust Content Management System with an integrated cart. It would be perfect for e-commerce sites that need more than just a cart.

So....
    If you could call Sunshop the same way (using php tags in a HTML page) as Joomla, you could design a page/template and place the components of joomla and sunshop wherever you wanted.
    If they worked off the same database (which would be fairly simple to make happen) you could even call sunshop items/functions inside of Joomla modules.

I'm all for helping out with this if anyone wants to try it. I know a fair amount about Joomla if one of you Sunshop gurus could pitch in...

And yes there are a few modules for carts already out there:
    http://www.onestopjoomla.com/compone...,select/id,55/
    Last edited by anim8; 03-15-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks for the info. I've never worked with joomla (or whatever it was called before either) and I'm not exactly a SunShop OR PHP guru, but I'd be interested in working on an integration project if some other people are too. My time is limited though, but even if it's just something like testing I'd be happy to do what I can.

Admin - I have not read through the licence recently, but... With a single licence could I (or anyone) use another copy of the software on the same server, same domain etc to try out/test this integration (if it ever gets that far that is). The store would not be 'live', just for test purposes.

Simon

Has anything ever come of this? I have a project coming up that needs to have a Shopping Cart integrated into some CMS, it doesn't have to be Joomla.

Do you just need it so that people can log into Joomla and be automatically logged into the shopping cart?

Here is what I would like to do with Joomla and Sunshop.

I would like to be able to show products in articles and then add to cart.

I would like to be able to use the joomla user module to sign people up for the site and checkout.

I would like to be able to use the Joomla template for the sunshop application.

That is what I would like to do.

Joomla and Sunshop

Very well put.. Joomla is getting better and that is what I use for all of my sites now. If there was some way to use the Joomla templates and have modules that linked to the featured products or products with certain tags that would be beneficial.

I did integrate a store with a site a few years ago by stripping down the Sunshop template and and using the wrapper menu style in Joomla to display the pages inside the template. Works pretty good but difficult for modern tablets and such to display the site. Also probably not very good for SEO for a very highly competitive market.