[Attn TWT-Chris] general sunshop integration advice

Chris I put your name in here because you seem to be the one that responds to all the threads on this topic.

I just purchased sunshop on your advice in the pre-purchase forum that sunshop can be integrated into existing webpages. Next week I will begin the task of trying to integrate it into my wordpress based site (postersforhumans.com).

Before I embark on that journey I was wondering if you had any general words of wisdom on how best to integrate sunshop elements into existing webpages or content managment systems. In the other thread you wrote "you would simply need to put the form posts into your current pages", could you expand on that?

Or does anyone else with any experience have advice? I'm looking at you acmequiz.

thanks!

Customizing Sunshop, or any other e-commerce product for that matter, is not as intuitive as one would like. But that's not Turnkey's fault. It's just that every website has a different look and feel and each site was created using one tool or another.

If you need to integrate Sunshop just once, and you don't plan to change the integration often, then I wouldn't waste my time learning how to do it and instead I would pay someone to do it. Sites such as elance.com and scriptlance.com allow you to post projects such as this that others with the necessary experience can bid on.

If you want to do it yourself, then, once Sunshop is installed, take some time getting acquainted with Sunshop's templates and themes. The templates are simply HTML files. If you are familiar at all with HTML, deciphering the templates will be simple. For example, moving the bestsellers list from the left side to the right side is as simple as changing one line in a template.

Sometimes significant mods aren't even necessary. For example, your website could contain an image of a poster that doubles as a link directly to that item in Sunshop.

Unfortunately, since Sunshop and the Internet evolves so quickly, you're not going to find a manual that will hand-hold you from the beginning. You're just going to have to explore using trial and error. Luckily, this is an active forum and you will get help as needed.
    Brian Myers
    Dataweb.Pro d/b/a StoreFront.Pro
    Sunshop experts. ASP since 2003. Hosting/Support/Consulting
    Fully hosted plans with SunShop start at just $19/month.

Brian has said it very nicely... but good luck with your quest. Don't be afraid to get in there and try things because you can always change things back if you feel you messed up.

And ... don't forget to make copies of your files *before* you alter them.
    DianeV Web Design Studio in Reno/Sparks, Nevada

I guess my hope is that I can just paste in the appropriate scripts and code snippets for "add to cart" and "view cart" buttons into my existing site and let sunshop handle the checkout process without having to convert my current page into a sunshop theme.

I'll keep you guys updated on my progress. So far installing it has been a breeze.

I know this isn't the place to necessarily get individualized support but I thought I would post here as well as file a ticket.

What I've done so far is hunted through the sunshop index.php for the parts that I want integrated into my site. Some parts, like search or categories are redundant with what I already have.

Then I took those pieces and put them in the header of my wordpress theme.

One challenge was to redirect the include for global.php because it was looking for it in the theme folder in wordpress. What I did was change:

$abs_path = dirname(__FILE__);
    include $abs_path."/global.php";

to

include($_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]."/global.php");

now the problem is an invalid license key, I think the problem might be due to an inconsistency in the www. and non www. settings in sunshop, wordpress, and my license. I think somehow whichever mechanism is responsible for checking the license is operating from www.mydomain.com while my sunshop license is just for mydomain.com. In retrospect I should have made a big deal out of deciding on one way of doing it and making sure everything was consistent.

edit: after talking to sam I think this might not be the case. I'm going to try and get to the bottom of how the license is validated before I just scrap the whole idea and switch to trying to build wordpress into sunshop instead of the other way around. I must have not included some key element in my frankensteining that allows my original sunshop index to validate but not the modified wordpress version.
    Last edited by TWT-Chris; 02-21-2008 at 01:27 PM.

Yeah that doesn't seem like a change like that would cause a license error. You may need to see what else is causing it.

I ended up just scrapping the whole integration thing and just got to work making the themes match. The site is live now, postersforhumans.com. check it out.

It's been tough though. It's really hard to track down in the css each background color and text color and such and finding which elements come from the templates, which from the css, and which from weird places like the lang file.

We've tried to tag the CSS file as much as possible but for more advanced stuff you do need some deeper knowledge of CSS.