Paypal Standard + Product Inventory / Stock

Hi, we're setting up a Sunshop installation onto our website, replacing osCommerce. We are using Paypal Standard IPN as the only payment method.

Unfortunately the problem is this: When a customer goes through the checkout process, at the very end (after shipping is calculated etc) they are told to continue to payment on the Paypal site. That's all OK and seems to work fine. It's annoying that there are potential for tons of "Awaiting Payment" orders to be listed in our admin but that's to be expected.

However, even if the customer does not pay with paypal and the order has been confirmed as Paid, the Inventory / Stock count of that product is still decreased by one. As I'm sure a sizable percentage of people will go thru checkout but not go through with payment, that means our inventory counts on all products will be extremely inaccurate and basically worthless.

Without using Paypal Pro, how can this be fixed? With IPN i'm sure Sunshop can know whether or not orders have been paid for, right? Then how can I prevent the inventory counts from decreasing until AFTER payment is made, not before it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    - Mark

PayPal Express Checkout is the way to go. I would recommend using that.

That looks great, however it looks like the Express option requires that users register for Paypal accounts!

With Paypal Standard IPN, customers can pay with Credit Cards on the Paypal site, without being required to have a Paypal account.

How can I get this working without requiring customers to have Paypal accounts?

Yeah Express Checkout is only for customers who have existing Paypal accounts.

So I guess in Sunshop it's impossible to have Paypal Payments Standard IPN function properly re: inventory stock, while it functions fine in free, crappy osCommerce.

I wish I had known this before making the investment in Sunshop...

You may want to add this to the tracker so we can look into changing the IPN functionality in the next version releases.

Has this been updated? I haven't tested Paypal Standard Payments yet - tomorrow I will begin testing.